Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Off to a Rough Start


I'm not like other chihuahuas. In fact, I am not like most dogs. This was me when I was three months old. I was such a happy pup. I had no idea that a just a few days after mommy took this picture that my life would be changed forever. On October 27, 2008, at the young age of three months I fell. You see, sometimes I forget just how small I am and often play a little to ruff and had no clue of the consequences. Every time mommy leaves me and my brother at home she would put us in our room. I don't want to complain but I hate it and would cry until someone let me out. My sister wanted to play and I know mommy said no to her she let me out anyways. I guess she got bored because she left me and my brother on the couch. Me and my brother like to play ruff and the next thing you know I was on the floor. It hurt and then everything went dark. Two days later I woke up in the doggie hospital. The doctors said I had fractured my head. Who knew the floor could be so hard.

This was me. They put a tube in my head to help with the swelling. Mommy came to see me everyday for the two weeks I was in the hospital. She told me she was going to get me better but I was so sleepy. I couldn't tell her anything and the doctors told mommy that I wasn't going to make it. $4000.00 later mommy took me home. She said she had ran out of money but wasn't going to give up on me. I wasn't going to give up either.



This was me, one week after coming home. Mommy had to take care of me day and night. She never left my side. She fed me baby food but I was too weak to open my mouth so she would put it on my lips and I would slowly lick it off. It was hard but I wasn't going to give up. Mommy gave me water through a syringe and also let me have that stuff they give babies when they are sick. I think it's called Pedialyte. Most of the time I just slept because I was so tired.


Slowly, as time went by, I started to get better. I got to where I could lick the food from the spoon and lick water from the syringe. But for some reason I couldn't eat without turning my head to the right and I couldn't see very well either. Mommy talked to the doctor and they said that I probably had some damage to my brain because of the accident. They didn't have faith in me but mommy did. She never gave up on me. I went through months of therapy but eventually started to eat on my own. About a month after coming home I got to start eating real food again but it was hard because I couldn't keep my head straight. Mommy held my head while I ate and soon I was able to do it on my own.


This is me. Three months after my accident. Mommy spoiled me. She even let me watch animal planet. My favorite show is Me or the Dog and mommy even let me have the remote. When I walked, it was slow and wobbly and I walked in circles. No one could tell yet but my eye sight never returned in my right eye. The circles..... I don't know if they will stop but if I use my nose I walk perfect! I hated the way I looked. Mommy would put me in clothes to keep me warm because much of my hair was gone. I am suppose to have long hair but I guess getting hurt stopped it from growing.

It took about six months for me to recover. I eventually started eating and drinking on my own. But I never made a full recovery. It has almost been a year since the accident and I am still blind in my right eye. I also have problems with walking, a sign of neurological damage. I walk in circles most of the time unless I stop and smell my way around. Mommy put one of those cones on me to correct it but I hated it so mommy gave that up.At home I stay in mommy's bedroom because I am comfortable there. I know where everything is at and find my way around easily. Seeing me you would never know what had happened when I was a baby but it did. But you know what? I am still here even though the doctors told mommy I wouldn't make it. They gave up on me but mommy never did. She loves me and I love her too. She has spoiled me rotten and I am well known wherever she goes because I get to go everywhere with her. And when mommy does leave me at home everyone always asks about me. Everyone loves me. I am Graham.

My Graham Slam....... Isn't he just perfect?



"Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to."
--Alfred A. Montapart

No comments:

Post a Comment